Wednesday, November 12, 2003

Dear Katie, It's awful to be cold. You know Montpelier is a very cold place. Mother said frost would be on our quilts in the morning from our breath. Our wet diapers would also be frozen. (They didn't have such a thing as a diaper pail in those days} It was a dry coldness, though, and when we would have visitors from Idaho after we moved here they would wsay they weren't that cold in Idaho. Your Mom used to complain of the dampness here also---in winter and in summer. I remember when you lived in PA. one year she had the thermostat tuned down so low that she wore a heavy jacket in the house. I think she said she saved about $300 on the heat bill and decided that it wasn't worth being cold all the time. You kids, however didn't get a cold all winter until things warmed up back there. When you came for a visit one winter it was cold here with a very cold wind blowing and I couldn't keep coats on you. I guess your blood had really thickened up. It sounds as though Danny is enjoying his classes and I'm glad. John Gates said that he endured three years of boredom. It sounds like an interesting neighborhood. Mary has a boyfriend. She has never acted as excited over one in her life. All the primping that goes on. I guess he treats her very nice and gentlemanly, so it's nice that she has something to look forward to besides AA meetings. Don't you like my paragraphing? Well I'm going to bed. Tomorrow is your grandfather's birthday---79. Pretty good for someone who was sure that he's nevery make it to 40. He told me that he'd like to die, but he doesn't know how. I told him that he'd know how when the time comes. Then about a week ago he decided he'd starve to death. I think that lasted about one day. Seriously, he hasn't been feeling very well and you can tell by looking t him that he doesn't. Take care---Love to all and I hope to see you at Christmas time. Tommy is marring Beverly the 19th of December.
Gramma

No comments:

Post a Comment