Thursday, June 09, 2005

If ever you wonder what your weaknesses are, just ask your kids.


In fact, most of the time you don't even need to ask. They will let you know.

Last Saturday the entire Sam Carter family ventured out to Costco (daring, I know). After paying for our groceries, we decided that we would stay for lunch. Sam and the kids had pizza, I opted for a diet coke (nothing sounded really appealing).

As we sat there eating, Eddie asked me why it was that I refused to buy "Sunny-D" for the kids. I explained that it is really just junk-food disguised as orange juice. I haughtily added that I don't like to spend money on junkfood.

Eddie looked at my cup, and then looked at me with a genuinely puzzled expression. "Well, you buy Coke for yourself and that's junkfood too."

What could I say? Sam laughed, and I just sat there with my TV face on, wondering how I didn't catch my own blatant hypocrisy. The boy was absolutely right. And I told him so.

I've decided to quit drinking soda. It's really not good for me anyway. I only bring this up, because my nature is to unscrupulously consume without limitation. (I'm really immature in most matters of self-discipline) and so, I'm asking for some support. Please hold me accountable. Ask me how it's going, and send me raised eyebrows as I'm about to order my drink at the restraunt. I know it's not that big of a deal. But it's that difficult for me to quit a silly little habit.

I don't think, in moderation, that it's bad. I haven't decided that soda is the drink of the devil or anything. I just reviewed my mental pros and cons list, and decided that it shouldn't be something that I need anymore.

On a slightly different subject:

I listened to a portion of an interview on the radio yesterday. It was an author (can't remember his name) discussing his book (can't remember the title). But it was a book about the Ten Commandments (the views of, in America or something) and sounded very interesting. I missed most of it, but towards the end of the interview, the author was asked what commandment was most difficult for him.

I thought it would be funny for him to answer "Thou shalt not kill" as a joke.

It actually was his answer! He explained that he had some history serving in the military. Spent some time in Bosnia, I think. How that experience has led to the struggle of that particular commandment because of having taken people's lives while seeing others desperate for their own, needing to resort to violence themselves.

He also suggested that the worship of idols, is ultimately just the worship of self. And that to worship God is the only way to not worship yourself. It was interesting to think about.

I haven't decided what my most difficult commandment is yet. Maybe I should ask Eddie, he's sure to know ;)

It was sure nice to see people writing. I love to read what you all have to say!

Happy Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment