Friday, June 27, 2003

What have I gotten myself into? My new personal training job has been a very intimidating step for me. I certainly don’t look like the typical trainer. This was most profoundly confirmed to me when I attended a training meeting (Monday) for the new trainers at Bally’s.

First, I wasn’t prepared. I wore comfortable clothing because I was told that I was going to walk through the equipment and make sure we knew how to use it correctly. Little did I know, that they were going to observe our training abilities and then take us through a circuit training session. I learned very quickly, that when trainers train other trainers, the goal is to make them want to puke their guts out from working out so hard. I have never, ever been so sore in my life! Our house reeks of Ben gay these days. And today was the first day I could go up or down the stairs without wincing and saying “ow, ow, ow, ow, owwww!”. And sitting on the toilet? If I could have held it for four days I would have.

My greatest fear going into this was that I’d be laughed at for even wanting to do it since I’m still fairly out of shape, and completely inexperienced. So when I walked into the room with all of the others (and took one look at their tan, 0% fat, muscular bodies), I thought about just walking out the door.

I have been amazed at the support that these people have given me. The training managers really seem to view me as competent enough to learn, and they are very willing to teach me and let me go for it. I hear things like, “just go for it, you can’t fail”. “You’re going to be great” etc. Trainers seem to be good motivators in every aspect.
This is a great opportunity for me to develop some confidence. I can’t wait to actually start getting some clients to work with. I think it will be so much fun to get to know people and help them reach their fitness goals.

That's enough rambling for now, have a great day everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment